Friday 18 May 2012

New running shoes!!


As a new comer to marathon running/training I've been like a sponge and taking advice from wherever I could find it. That being asking people who I know who've been through the marathon experience and doing copious amounts of web research.
The consistent advice which you always find, is "make sure you get a good pair of running shoes/trainers".
This is essential as you will be pounding out lots of miles and you will increase the likelihood of injury if you have an ill-fitting pair. I was also advised to get the trainers from a reputable running shop who were also able to monitor my running gait whilst I jogged on a treadmill.
So following all this advice I took myself off to "Up and Running" a Sports shop especially suited to runners and purchased myself a pair of new running shoes.
The full specs details can be found on the link below, although mine are Blue as the image shows and not red and white. http://www.upandrunning.co.uk/mens-saucony-progrid-jazz-15.html
They are Saucony Jazz 15 - which suited by neutral gait (I never realised running could be so technical).
They had their first trial out on Friday and they felt like a dream.
I was advised to get a size above my normal size, hence got a UK 10, as I was informed that your feet can swell during a marathon and hence best to go with something with slightly more room.
This comes in stark contrast to my footballing days, when we always purchased boots which were as tight as possible and moulded to your feet, so that you had a better touch and feel of the ball.
I'm up to 5 miles running at the moment and did 2 5 miles runs on the treadmill, one on hill inclines, so I'm gradually building up my mileage now.
26.2 miles bring it on!!

No comments:

Post a Comment